A Scary Weekend

Well, it's been awhile since I've blogged. I'm sure you all know by now that it was a rough week/weekend for us last week! My husband went into the hospital with chest pain/discomfort and ended up staying the night. Mel knows me too well - he knows that I will freak out if I think something is wrong with him - and, he is right. Thursday morning he was getting ready for work and he told me he wasn't feeling well. About 10 minutes later I asked him what his symptoms were and he rubbed his stomach and then his chest and said that he just felt weird. I immediately asked him if he was having chest pains and he nonchalantly blew it off to be something minor. Well, about a hour later he calls me to ask for a doctor's number and of course I freak out b/c he never asks for a doctor's number. He tells me it is no big deal and that he will make an appointment for the afternoon. Well, of course I insist that he call right away. The next phone call I get from him is 5 minutes later telling me he is headed to the ER. Okay, so, I'm really freaking out now. I start crying. A 31 year old shouldn't have heart problems and of course every scenario is racing through my brain. I'd like to say I was calm, cool, and collected - but, I wasn't. Not at all. He tells me I don't need to come up there, that he is fine. Well, of course, I'm going to go up there - I would totally expect for him to come up there if it was the other way around. So, I call my neighbor to watch Emma (while crying hysterically) and then I call my aunt and uncle. My aunt rushes over to take me to the ER. I get there and he is in the trauma ER unit in a hallway on a stretcher. He is in a hallway b/c they had care flighted in several people from an accident. I watch his heart monitor and his heart rate go from 85 to 160 in no time and it continues to do it. They do several EKGs and of course the doctor and the nurse always give worst case scenario to totally freak you out. Thankfully, my mom calls and calms my fears. After being in the ER for 8 hours, the doctor comes back to tell Mel that the cardiologist wants to check him into the hospital. By this time I've collected my thoughts. A lot of people are praying and I give control over to God. About 1pm on Friday the nurse comes in to tell my husband that his heart is beating normally again. The cardiologist comes in about 4pm to say that he is releasing him with medications and to visit him on a regular basis. Mel has atrial fibrillation. Nothing causes it. He was very excited to know that he doesn't have to go on a special diet. The top of his heart beats faster than it should, so he has to take meds to control it. We are praying for full recovery & healing so that he won't have to continue on the meds. I am so thankful that it wasn't something more. The thought of something happening to my husband scares me. He is my other half - I wouldn't know what to do without him. But, I know whom we serve & am so thankful that God has him in the palm of his hands.


misty said…
i would have reacted just like you - there is no way to be calm in a situation like that! i will tell chad & we will be praying for mel. please keep us updated
Casey said…
I would have been scared too. I am so sorry you guys had to go through that. Glad he's better!
triplatte said…
we were praying!! how is he this week?
Casey said…
Okay Kim! Here is your scolding!! I keep checking and checking and need to read some more ramblings of a woman!! Get on the ball friend. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Do Not Worry

Never Alone

Stop Comparing & Be You!